Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Released for the Nintendo 64 on December 15, 2000 by LucasArts, and developed by LucasArts and Factor Five, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine sends the titular hero on his first 3D action-adventure.

As a kid, I must have watched the original Indiana Jones trilogy 100 times. I could never get enough. I had all the soundtracks, and I'd often play them while I was pretending I was Indy, attaching my belt to my bedframe, and imagining it was a truck pulling me across the desert. At some point, though, I realized the closest I'd ever come to being Indiana Jones was controlling him in a video game. Unfortunately, not every Indiana Jones game was very good. Some were okay (i.e., the SNES game), but only one was truly great: 1992's PC point-and-click adventure game, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Fate of Atlantis, directed by Hal Barwood, got everything right, from the tone, to pitch-perfect gameplay. Much to my joy, in the late 90's, LucasArts announced Barwood would be directing an action-adventure Indiana Jones game in the style of Tomb Raider for the Nintendo 64. This seemed too good to be true. The first Tomb Raider game was great, and clearly inspired by Jones himself. Strange things happened, though. The game, for some reason, was only available to buy from Blockbuster Video or the LucasArts store. Why was the release so limited? Eventually I bought and played this game, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, as far as the Nintendo 64 cartridge would let me progress, and I get it now. I can say with all honesty: this game seemed too good to be true because it was.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
At least he still looks cool in defeat.

Things start off well enough. Infernal Machine's graphics look pretty good. The Indy model, shown and played from a third-person perspective, is excellent, high-polygon, and very well-animated. Seeing him whip a beam and swing over a pit is a thrill. The 3D environments, from vast outdoor areas, to deep, immense caverns and temples, are almost unbelievably huge. The music, composed by LucasArts' excellent Clint Bajakian, nails the spirit of the character and the films. Often, levels are scored by only ambient sounds, only for Bajakian to break out a triumphant piece when Indy does something heroic, or an ominous one when he discovers something mysterious. The game's box and main menu feature beautiful artwork by the legendary Drew Struzan--the guy who created the gorgeous original posters for the original film trilogy (and the best ones for Star Wars too)! From a production standpoint, this games is at an almost astounding level.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Yes, it's got the opening location and date over an epic, sweeping shot.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
And yes, I got chills when the camera swooped behind Indy, and he suddenly became playable.

Likewise, the level designs are brilliant. On average, each of the game's (17) stages are as big as the biggest temple in either of the Nintendo 64's Zelda games. Puzzles are intuitive and brilliant, and finally reaching the ends of the massive stages feels like a major accomplishment. Every time you think you're at the end of one, another challenge presents itself. Speaking of Zelda, Infernal Machine takes a page from that series' control scheme. The player can set an item or weapon, like Indy's whip, lighter, or one of the game's firearms, to three of the C-buttons, just like in Ocarina of Time. Unfortunately, the control scheme isn't quite as smooth as Link's, as the player has to press the b-button to utilize whatever item is selected, then press the exact correct c-button to put that item away. Also unlike in those Zelda games, manual jumping is a major component of Infernal Machine's gameplay. Often, Indy has to jump a long distance and grab onto a ledge. If you forgot to put your whip away, you can't grab ahold, and you plummet to your death. Maybe the whip, which is often used, should have just been mapped to B, like Link's sword, and the other items just useable with their assigned c-buttons. And...maybe Indy could automatically put what he's holding away when he jumps.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
For an Indy fan, every chance to swing across some chasm with his whip is a thrill.

If only the controls were the game's worst issue. If that were the case, I'd still be giving this game between a 7.5 and an 8.0. The sense of being Indy is just so spot-on, and even on a simple nostalgia level, hearing Doug Lee return from Fate of Atlantis to voice Indiana Jones here is 90's LucasArts goodness--not to mention hearing Bajakian expertly utilize John Williams "Raiders March" at just the perfect moments. Factor Five, just like in their previous work on the Nintendo 64, is able to cram loads of dialogue and high-quality music onto this cartridge, utilizing their miraculous compression techniques. This game should have been like a dopamine avalanche, like video-gaming catnip. Unfortunately, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine has a giant rolling ball of an issue in comparison to its spotty controls.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
They even nailed the map! Why couldn't this game have been good?!

This problem, for me at least, started rearing its death's head on the game's massive third level, "The Tian Shan River." This particular stage is unbelievably huge, taking place in a snowy mountain valley, and featuring several segments involving white water rafting. At one particular rafting bend in the river, my game crashed. By crashed, I mean the image on the TV screen froze in place, and I could not proceed. Thankfully, you can save your game at any moment, and I had recently done so, so I reset my N64 and loaded my save file. This time, I was able to progress past this bend in the river, but I died, and had to start back where I saved again. Unfortunately, on this try, my game froze again at that same bend in the river. This happened four or five times before I finally made it past that portion of the level. This was annoying...but the problem gets worse. Much worse.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Dammit, Indy, even the swimming portions are decent! Why couldn't this game have been good?!?!

I completed Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. It was six levels long. The box promised 17 levels, and if I entered the "all levels" cheat into the password section, I could access all 17 of them. However, after sinking about 12-15 hours into the game because, as I've said, these levels are really long, I made it to the end of level six. In order to complete the level, I needed to push a crate onto an elevator. As in Tomb Raider, block puzzles are an integral part of Infernal Machine's gameplay. However, as I began to push the block, my game froze. I tried again and again, reloading my saved game file over and over. Infernal Machine froze every time. I tried finagling the block to where I could push it from a different angle. Still froze. Always froze. My game ended at level six. This game is aptly named...and I am angry.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
I haven't even mentioned the combat in this game, which features a nifty lock-on that makes shooting Russian soldiers a cinch. The soldiers aren't the brightest, but they're fun to shoot. Also, I didn't mention the plot of this game, which pits this older Indy against communist Russia for an ancient Babylonian artifact.

I am angry because, despite its non-game-freezing flaws, I really liked Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. Even without the Indiana Jones license, the game would still be fun. Yes, the jumping mechanic is a little finicky. Some jumps are tougher than they need to be. All of the other flaws I listed are frustrating. But they're not game breaking, and what's here is fun, flaws and all. The archeological adventuring is a blast. Treasures, which give Indy money to buy weapons and medicine between stages, are deviously hidden, and fun to search for and find. The strengths here are huge, and when the Indy license comes in to play, Infernal Machine should have been a slam dunk. How could LucasArts let this happen? How could they release to market a game that freezes and won't even let you progress? Is this why they limited the game's sales? Because they didn't want the word to get out that the game is broken?.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Pulling out the lighter to illuminate a spider-webbed cavern entrance? Awesome! WHY COULDN'T THIS GAME HAVE BEEN GOOD?!?!?! I mean, that scary thrill of venturing into the unknown is totally intact here...there could be a Temple of Doom around any corner...why couldn't this have been good?

Whatever the case, gamers and Indy himself deserve better. How dare LucasArts release this broken game. I will only recommend Infernal Machine to hardcore Indiana Jones fans who won't mind going to the password screen to skip a level when it freezes and prevents them from progressing. For everyone else who wants an archeological action-adventure game with late 90's flavor--just play the first few Tomb Raider's. For the Tomb Raider-less N64, stick to Zelda. Maybe one day, Indy will get his due again.
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Because this game leaves him hanging...


8.0
Graphics
The art design is excellently, Indy and other characters look and move wonderfully, and the color-scheme is both Indy-specific, while still feeling diverse and vibrant.
8.5
Music and Sound
Great Clint Bajakian music, wonderful soundscapes I haven't even mentioned, and a truckload of Doug Lee's great Indy voice-work.
4.5
Gameplay
Fun, vast 3D action-adventure puzzler, which would only be slightly hampered by frustrating control issues, if not for the fact that the entire game freezes and won't let you progress.
4.0
Lasting Value
This would be a 50-hour plus adventure because of the ridiculously huge size of the 17 stages, but you won't be able to experience it because the game freezes 1/3 of the way in.


5.5 FINAL SCORE

Comments

Popular Posts